Thursday, June 13, 2013

Death

From time to time I am compelled to write about death. I don't know, but there are times when I just feel that I have to discuss it at length, either with myself or with friends. There are things that happen in our lives that jolt us, making us think of our inevitable demise. In two weeks I went to three wakes and two funerals. In March my friends (sisters) lost their father to cancer. And in between the deaths of the people connected to me, there were also deaths of people I didn't know.
As a Facebook shout out, I posted about a week ago, that I realized how immaterial material possessions were; that people remember a dead loved one's big heart, rather than his big bank account; that we touch people through kindness, and not by showering them with gifts. It wasn't much of a eureka type of realization. It was something I had known all along. But like everyone else, I forget such things in the comfort of stillness; when the calm waters of life make us forget that at anytime strong currents could come and topple us. This blog entry will be short, as life is short. I pray that I never take for granted that I still wake up in the morning and breathe a deep and satisfying breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment