Friday, August 2, 2013

I, Sisyphus

image

It has been almost a month since my lifestyle changed.

McDonald's and Jollibee are right outside our subdivision's gate, so it had become a habit of ours (my husband's and mine) to go to either one of those fast food restaurants (most of the time it was McDonald's) to get a bite to eat. They are called "fast" food restaurants for a reason. The sheer convenience of driving through the narrow drive-through alley, and talking to a box sure beats dicing, and slicing, cooking and then cleaning up after. So let's go back to a month ago.

About a month ago, I started exercising and making healthier eating choices. Three weeks ago, I started measuring my food intake, and just last week, I started walking for an hour, on days when I don't go to the gym. The first two weeks were the hardest. Every time I stepped on that digital weighing scale, it was like I was being judged for being fat. My weight fluctuated during the first two weeks. My husband knows this oh so well, as he sat there smiling just so, as I bitched and moaned to him about the futility of my efforts. "I'm starving myself to death! And for what?" I felt like Sisyphus trying so desperately to roll that boulder up a hill, only to watch it fall all the way down.

Down... that's exactly what I was feeling those first two weeks.  I had to give up sauces, and condiments, salt, sugar, processed foods, etc. And my weight still fluctuated. And then... I started losing weight. All of a sudden, I felt my efforts had not been for naught. I no longer have breathing problems, no more GERD, no more headaches, no colds.

I have my friends, my family and of course my husband to thank for this "newish" lifestyle. Without their love and support, this would have been a more arduous ride.

I have lost a total of 8.37 pounds in less than a month. I am extremely pleased. This IS the only way to do it. Like what my friend Joy said, "Slowly but surely, Ate Katy." ;)

2 comments: