Tuesday, January 7, 2014

New Year, New Challenges

Well 2014 couldn't not be stopped. It's here, and those of us still nursing the remnants of  a year-ender hangover, dragging our asses out of bed every morning, better shape up 'coz 2014 is as relentless as they come.

Before 2013 ended, I had been presented with an opportunity to use my writing skills to help someone write a beauty column. Okay, you got me, I write the article, and she puts her name on it. Saying yes to it was not my finest hour, but, income is income, and who wouldn't want to earn a little extra to at least see some movement in their bank portfolio. 2013 proved to be disastrous for my stock market investment (the little money that I had invested had shrunk instead of grown, but I'm still optimistic, hehe.)

I have also been writing quite a few press releases lately. At first it was just a job, a sideline, a "raket", if you will, that paid quite well, considering the effort that goes into it. Yes, I spend a few hours researching and writing, reading and re-reading. But it's nothing compared to academic writing, or writing stories for my CNF or Fiction class. I just need to remember to dot the i's and cross the t's, and put commas where they should be. I was just going through the motions, making sure I met deadlines.

Slowly, it started to grow on me. I have begun to love not just writing about these companies, what they are all about, the products and services they offer, the things they do to give back to the community. I have come to admire the people behind these wonderful institutions, their tenacity, their business acumen, their passion, and their desire to be the best.

I am excited at the thought of being given new projects, especially the ones of which I know nothing. Not knowing where to start, and eventually being able to write a decent article is quite fulfilling. I am ready for new challenges. I just hope I never shortchange the people who trust me to do the job that I'm tasked to do.

Of course, come June, the completion of my thesis will be my priority. And now the butterflies start to flutter in my stomach. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Best of fortune in the new year! I agree, it's very fulfilling to see something take shape and we know we had a hand in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Also looking forward to taking on the 52-week savings challenge. Need to save money for a trip at the end of the year :-)

    ReplyDelete