Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Yesterday

Image Photo by www.bestforbeauty.eu

Yesterday, I wore the perfume you gave me.

The whole day was spent polishing my thesis proposal, sorting out journal articles, making sure I had filled out the evaluation form correctly. I also read more journal articles about cyber relationships, the effects of cyber cheating on offline relationships, writing a memoir, the actual truth and the truth as one remembers it.

And then it was almost five pm. In an hour I was to go to Church to hear Mass and to pray for you. Everyday, for the whole month of July, our parish will be praying for you.

So at about five-thirty, I decided to take another shower. It had been a long, hot, humid day. The humidity made me wish for rain and typhoon. But guilt came soon after my mind had already released my wish out into the universe. Good thing the universe had not been listening.

After a quick shower, I opened a small cabinet in the bathroom where I keep all my perfumes. And there it was, the perfume you gave me some years ago, when you didn't really have to give me anything. I have always loved that perfume, using it sparingly since its scent calls for a specific mood or occasion. But every time I wear it, I love it. And it reminds me of you.

Yesterday, my husband created videos of this simulation game that he likes. Armed with a one-dollar microphone he had bought from CDR King, he recorded them while commentating. He told me to like the video, which I did, of course. I even told my friends about it.

When he turned on his tablet to check YouTube, he was so surprised to find out that he had opened your account instead. The last time he had opened YouTube using his tablet was when we were in the States a few months ago. And somehow, he had logged into your account. We looked at each other in disbelief. And then we felt sad.

Yesterday, I wore the perfume you gave me.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say. Just kudos to him, and to you for this poignant piece. We'll see him again in the future. And then, there won't be any need for perfumes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ate. I just felt like writing about it. I still can't believe he's gone.

    ReplyDelete